10 Apr Welcome to Vineyard Pilgrimage
“What is the Vineyard Pilgrimage?” I get this question a lot and I’ll answer it directly but I want to begin by saying, the Pilgrimage is a work in progress. Let me share with you where we’ve been.
Over the last several months, we’ve invested countless hours researching how a Christian grows. The idea was, if we could understand how God shapes us, we could learn to cooperate with the process, we could, then, help pastors grow, equip them to facilitate spiritual growth and develop curriculum, tailor experiences and offer resources designed to work with God’s transformative power over the grand course of our lives. In short, we want to help folks make progress in, what we call, the For-missional Life.
What is the For-missional Life?
It’s simple, really. God has a two-fold call on our lives as believers. He calls us to both being and doing, loving and serving, formation and mission. In other words, we have a first order calling and a second order calling. In our…
First Order Calling: Jesus calls us into a personal relationship of love with God, a relationship rooted and grounded in God’s love for us, enabling us to love him in reply.1 This love relationship is the foundation of the Christian life — being proceeds doing, loving proceeds serving. First order calling leads to…
Second Order Calling: Jesus calls us to follow him,2 joining him in his work.3 The goal of the Vineyard Pilgrimage is to order these two callings — to put the first calling first and the second calling second — encouraging folks to go deep in their love relationship with Jesus so they can go wide, joining him in his work. All Pilgrimage resources, curriculum and experiences emerge out of this understanding — deep, intentional, spiritual formation that fuels the mission. That brings me back to the original question.
What is the Vineyard Pilgrimage?
The Vineyard Pilgrimage is not a program. It’s not a curriculum or set of resources. It may include those things but it’s meant to be so much more. If I were to describe it today, I would say, the Vineyard Pilgrimage is a…
• Church Leadership Network: Believing we’re better together, the Pilgrimage will gather like- minded pastors and leaders, facilitating conversation and cross-pollination around the For-missional Life through events like Formissional Roundtables. You can find out more about roundtables under the Opportunities page of our website.
• A Collection of Resources: When you think Pilgrimage, think “tools for the journey.” We’re developing our own original content as well as compiling the very best tools, gleaned from a variety of sources in support of the For-missional Life. This growing collection of spiritual- formative tools and resources is updated monthly. Each tool is thoroughly reviewed and most include suggested use indicators. The Collection is prominently featured on our website.
• Spiritual Community: Knowing we grow best in the context of authentic community, pastors and leaders will be invited to walk with others in a committed, peer-to-peer Pilgrim Communities built around friendship and the care of the soul. See the Opportunities page for more information.
• Grassroots Collaborative: The Pilgrimage will present a growing number of best practices for celebrating the various spiritual milestones in a person’s life (i.e. baby dedications, communion, baptism), culled from a collaboration of contributing pastors and leaders. The Collaborative is prominently featured as well.
• Family of Ministries: We’re excited to work with Vineyard Kid’s, Vineyard Youth, Project Timothy, Heroic Leadership Institute and The Barnabas Project in a family of Ministries built
around for-missional living. We’re also partnering with a number of other organizations, looking for ways to help pastors and others find the lover of their souls. See our Ministries and Partner pages for more information.
Where do you begin?
At the risk of being redundant, check out our website at vineyardpilgrimage.org. Browse The Collection, connect with our Partners, explore our family of ministries, peruse and contribute ideas in The Milestone Collaborative, sign up for our newsletter or join us on social media. We’ll keep you up-to-date on new releases and opportunities as they arise.